Posted 2011-10-05 02:33:23 by
Archived from http://twitter.com/mogwai_poet:
- Someone should tell this guy that after a certain level of overdrive the signal doesn't become any more a square wave. http://t.co/0ho7xHF
- "The zombie metaphor usually keys into xenophobic fears. What can we do with zombies that is different?" http://t.co/sDdclZo
- @Satchamobob I'm pretty sure Gawker writers get paid by the angry comment.
- "Cardinal Brady stressed [the cover-up of child rape] was a 'sacred and treasured' rite." http://t.co/AvtxPxQ
- "DIY Wrist Cuff Equips Blind People With Sonar" http://t.co/nEVFbKL
- "The first lab-grown sausage might be just six months away." http://t.co/LD3jymG
- (Really, do you think this is scarier or more disgusting than our current meat production practices? Even "more unnatural" is a stretch.)
- @jonbeilin If you're a vegan because you think meat is gross, that totally makes sense.
- It's the gameplay programmer who actually makes the design decisions. If designers aren't also programmers, they're just gesturing vaguely.
- Portishead, "Roads" http://t.co/88XJ9AR
- Doing some foley recording for my latest project. I don't know why anyone would use sfxr when they could have this fun instead.
- RT @petermolydeux Imagine a game where 3 pauses and it's game over. The game plays door bells, ringtones etc trying to make you accidently pause the game
- @xobs Make a habit of trolling Wikipedia, and the lack of static IP becomes a feature.
- The wax-sealed Steam vouchers Final Form printed up to sell Jamestown at PAX: was http://t.co/sCKMtw1
- Photo set: Toronto lightning storm. http://t.co/ShWimYa
- I have a whole frozen chicken I bought basically as a challenge for myself. Every so often I look into the freezer apprehensively.
- "Top 10 Unethical Psychological Experiments" -- Grim reading. http://t.co/pffwjdL
- Miki Higashino, "Tactile Freefall," arranged by Midee and Prozax. http://t.co/ETtKslW
- @christinelove First-world problems.
- At Super Happy Dev House. Want to do audio work but I forgot my headphones.
- Plugged in some earbuds, but Audition won't recognize the device. Remember when audio hardware just worked?
- Shown the game to three people so far; nobody can figure out what the grey arcing urine stream indicates. Playtesting!
- Also, even after I explain double jumps to players, nobody does it. This game may turn out to be for Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts veterans only.
- Got a decent asset pipeline built -- I think -- but I can't test it for audio because I can't create the assets. Works for pngs!
- The atrocious boss fights guarantee I won't replay Deus Ex 3. I'm having trouble convincing myself to even play the second half of the game.
- It's not exactly Screenshot Saturday any more, but this isn't exactly a screenshot: http://t.co/PDl11tz
- I hereby declare this to be Soundshot Sunday.
- If "drinking soup out of one's wallet" were an idiom, what would it mean?
- Best use of nature hike: as a foil for awesome chiptunes. Or vice versa; works either way.
- Department stores should have Back to Prison sales during the back to prison time of the year, for your prison supply needs.
- "Chronic fatigue syndrome researchers face death threats from militants" http://t.co/43tgylu
- Context sensitivity: http://t.co/ZH5kQpJ
- Jamestown double play -- i.e. one dude, two controllers -- gauntlet high score. http://t.co/IEBk1oh
- Antibiotics killing off friendly gut bacteria; less of such bacteria passed from mother to child. http://t.co/EKOmhJJ
- Distancing yourself from what is natural sometimes takes you closer to what is real. http://t.co/Avt70VN
- What you perceive is not reality. This is just an engineering problem.
- No wonder the Deus Ex 3 boss fights were so different from the rest of the game: they were built by another studio. http://t.co/Q02aTut
- Arcade games in the news, circa 1982. http://t.co/Gptv6P0
- The Divine Comedy, "Lost Property" http://t.co/Q9CVce6
- RT @ChrisDeLeon Sometimes we say things just to see if they sound crazy out loud. Most of the videogames I've made since 2006 are like that.
- Okay, so how do you clean a cheese shredder? This is almost a philosophical question: its very nature is to shred soft things. Like sponges.
- Honk at patrol car; get tased to death. http://t.co/gL8ovcd
- "Would I rather buy one $59 game or 20 mobile games?" Your answer says something about *you*, not about the universe. http://t.co/1DxjArx
- The $60 game isn't going away; it's always been a niche market, it just *felt* like the big fish because there was no frame of reference.
- Huge power outage in San Diego? Seems like it stretches to Tijuana, Orange County, and Phoenix.
- Nothing on Google News yet, I'm just seeing forum threads and Twitter posts.
- Nothing on Union Tribune web site. sdge.com not responding -- probably overloaded.
- Your San Diego power outage news source: http://t.co/JMTbwaG
- RT @SDGE If you have a personal family emergency plan, please activate it now.
- @Satchamobob Then you might have the best perspective on it, actually. Do you know what other areas still have power, or when it comes back?
- The enormous list of Newscorp's voicemail hacking victims. http://t.co/Da7HBLf
- "A professional, targeted intelligence-gathering operation. The national-security and business implications have barely been addressed."
- Starting to get news coverage about the Southern California power outage: http://t.co/RmfBDSk
- @twofoldsecret Often followed by an attempt to fix it, then the realization: "Oh, I guess that's why I did it that way."
- The Coup, "Me and Jesus the Pimp in a '79 Granada Last Night" http://t.co/ctmooeR
- Brace yourself; it's only a matter of time before I start linking to all my favorite J-pop from the Dance Dance Revolution series.
- "New Social Network Connects People Based on Gastrointestinal Bacteria" http://t.co/Hnl6Nki
- Hooray! After 17 years, it's finally legal to play Doom and Doom 2 in Germany. http://t.co/MTFNajk
- "TSA Agent Threatens Woman With Defamation, Demands $500k For Calling Intrusive Search 'Rape'" http://t.co/RBoMtHx
- @directionalpad http://t.co/TRbek9q
- Unity to support targeting the Flash 11 platform: http://t.co/o6hZ9qu
- "Atala's team has shown that stem cells can be collected, without harming embryos, from amniotic fluid in the womb." http://t.co/qr6Wmr9
- RT @dan_schmidt Little known fact: the "add 30 seconds" button on your microwave was invented in 1968, and was first used during the making of "Hey Jude".
- "Ayusman Sen and colleagues have created the self-propelling microspiders using spheres less than a micrometre wide." http://t.co/iFdw0Ol
- T-Mobile: helping you get ahead in life http://t.co/4dXZ54T
- Soundgarden, "Pretty Noose" http://t.co/Uo4necB
- Isolated vocals for "Pretty Noose." (You'll just have to imagine the bad-ass quintuplet riff leading up to the chorus.) http://t.co/8xbWtnJ
- Can't-fail startup idea of the day: electroplaiting.
- I have mail sent from France to a "Grosjean Stanislab," with three other house numbers on my street written on the envelope and crossed off.
- If you happen to know this Grosjean Stanislab, please let him or her know that his or her name is amazing.
- We don't know for sure which cat is pooping on the floor next to the litterbox, but it's gotta be Danu, right? I mean just look at her.
- "The Cantonese slang for North Americans is 'ghosts,' and they are more in danger of being invisible to us than ever." http://t.co/f5TTVcL
- Remember, always wear a condom. Fetuses pee in there.
- "Mike said his [GSR] spike was the result of relief, meaning all the while the cutscene was playing he would be safe." http://t.co/KpoW4lP
- Goombas.org post: "How to embed SWF animations into your Flex project," a tragedy in one act. http://t.co/3UHjqmL
- Okay, I really need to start taking mobile seriously as a gaming platform, for research purposes if nothing else. http://t.co/tUUyBFW
- RT @dresdencodak I have now been told that Shredder was voiced by Uncle Phil from Fresh Prince. This can't get any better.
- I'd go iPod Touch, but why would I buy a device I'm not allowed to code for? Is there an Android equivalent? In the $200 range, no contract?
- If you're reading this, it means I decided the video encoding quality doesn't quite ruin this song: Scarling, "Can't" http://t.co/RmOP6aF
- @coder_j Yeah, it is very those.
- Jason Scott's next three documentaries: "Tape," "6502," "Arcade." He needs your funding to make them: http://t.co/u5GbEB3
- Not gonna lie, I think his chances of successfully funding this thing are slim. This is me pushing for your help more than I usually would.
- "In this happentrack, there are no napkin dispensers in fast-food restaurants. 'Do you want a Towelora with that?'" http://t.co/XHyPpSA
- "The Five Stages of Finding Out Your Dad Is Into Planking" http://t.co/qnXvyCh
- No gameplay information whatsoever in the Game of Thrones: Genesis trailer. So it's a single-player Mafia Wars clone, right?
- Cibo Matto, "King of Silence" http://t.co/76AjxqZ
- By installing the new PS3 update, you agree not to join in class action lawsuits. Why did no one think of this before! http://t.co/zur7phix
- RT @MaxGeiger Corrolary to "If you don't pay for it, you are the product". "If you won't pay for it, you will become the product."
- Portal is a free download until Tuesday. Who do I know who hasn't played this? It's part of the pantheon, short, and accessible.
- "Ursus Wehrli may or may not have an OCD problem. Here, for example, is a bowl of alphabet soup he tidied up." http://t.co/ZSyETDTn
- Apple removes game about Foxconn working conditions from App Store. http://t.co/wkx1M8fp
- "Comparing Image and Interaction" in the game "Quit Smoking." http://t.co/6ymMFFQn
- Wilco, "Heavy Metal Drummer" http://t.co/9JmCC3R3
- What does it mean when you hear hissing that sounds like running water, then popping that doesn't, from the morass of wires under your desk?
- The Rolling Stones's "Ruby Tuesday" might have the worst drum fill *and* drum sound in rock. Did they find that snare drum head in garbage?
- The homeless guy's name is Jeff.
- Jim Emerson: "Shots in the Dark (Knight): A detailed look at the first part of a famous TDK car/truck chase sequence." http://t.co/Eh8pMR4J
- C.f. a similar sequence from "Salt." http://t.co/FSbIBmNk
- @jonbeilin Makes the ones that are still alive and doing good work even more special. I ought to make a list. David Bowie, Bad Religion...
- @jonbeilin Speaking of dead and lame, though, when were we going to get together and play shmups? And/or other games, perhaps.
- @jonbeilin Huh, I hadn't heard about the Au Coquelet meetup. Do you have a link for that?
- Podcast excerpt: how Checkers was effectively solved in 1863, and the extent to which Chess also is: http://t.co/KnzrMXQ0 (Radiolab 8/23/11)
- "In 1863, the two best Checkers players in the world played a 40 game series. All were draws, and 21 were exactly the same, move for move."
- "Study: patent trolls have cost innovators half a trillion dollars" http://t.co/znjiQzB5
- "Funky Forest: After School Club" -- I guess NSFW? http://t.co/x8uqUhI8
- Watched the "Breaking Bad" pilot. Four seasons of this and he hasn't died of cancer *or* struck it rich yet? Series TV in a nutshell.
- Photo set: North Korea. http://t.co/squrRJ4s
- All Facebook needs to do is link to that Louis CK video about how everything's amazing, and you'll all look like jackasses.
- (Wait-staff protip: that trick works when a customer finds a fly in the coffee, too.)
- The Thief/System Shock 2 rendering engine, in detail: http://t.co/HWJbydjU
- RT @SorenJohnson The next console generation will be won by whoever understands why the Xbox Indie Games Channel did not become the iOS App Store.
- Michiru Oshima, "Castle in the Mist," from the Ico soundtrack. http://t.co/e1QOly7H
- I wonder if you could patch the Scaleform library to skip past animations that don't accept input, and fix UI bloat in every game at once.
- You are much more likely to be paroled immediately after lunch: http://t.co/iYam1aCY
- Berkeley researchers reconstruct viewed images from brain activity data. http://t.co/ehKNzUcY
- It smells like stew from across the house but I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be ready for another three hours. Fuckin' stews.
- But it's making me hungry now! Yeah, these potatoes and onions are way underdone. Maybe I should have another bite just to make sure...
- Nine Inch Nails, "Ghosts III" http://t.co/fS8nIsNR
- I contend that there is no such thing as sleep-farting. A side-effect of toilet training. Your girlfriend totally did that while awake.
- (So if everyone has to fart sometime no matter how tightly they clench, when does it happen? On the toilet, duh.)
- So on reflection after finishing Deus Ex: Human Revolution, I'm pretty convinced that Deus Ex: Invisible War is the better game.
- Invisible War *certainly* wins from a storytelling/worldbuilding standpoint. But it has unified ammo so it loses automatically, amirite?
- "Faster-Than-Light Neutrinos? Probably not. But maybe! Or in other words: science as usual." http://t.co/DBiHsJxQ
- Handkerchiefs, those are a great idea. That enormous handful of mucus? Just shove it in your pocket.
- "Between a high, solid wall and an egg that breaks against it, I will always stand on the side of the egg." http://t.co/ZtHLN8w5
- "If there were a novelist who, for whatever reason, wrote works standing with the wall, of what value would such works be?"
- Am I reading this right, that Radiant Silvergun was 3-player in the arcade? Because the chaining system really seems tuned for 3p co-op.
- Britney Spears, "Toxic" http://t.co/2H4jes34
- "Quest for the Crown" is the sort of game you spend a lazy afternoon mostly not-playing, until the mind-melting twist. http://t.co/yiehDjvP
- You just keep pretending that wearing that hairstyle into battle isn't just as retarded as cleavage-exposing armor, Epic.
- Classics of Game is back, and in fine form. http://t.co/jGsT7nhB
- Warco: "The player must capture battle footage and edit together a news story, while trying to make it out alive." http://t.co/iF2GA475
- Goombas.org post: all podcast excerpts from the past couple of years, gathered in once place. http://t.co/HyWt9vRX
- "OKITE is an alarm clock app. It sends embarrassing messages to the user's Twitter account every time they hit snooze." http://t.co/xyZUB1RB
- Added a production logo to Futilitris and Futility Pong. Quite pleased with this: http://t.co/xwi9K10G
- Bruce Sterling's address to the 1991 GDC attendees: http://t.co/Md6H3GGn
- "To hell with them; they put you here. You should fully realize what society has made of you and take a terrible revenge."
- The Protomen, "Father of Death" http://t.co/OImdqv1i
- RT @halsted "You can play 4 people but we only have 3. Someone should come and play so we can have 4. Itís a really fun game." http://t.co/jNhxMUXs
- Tim Rogers on the soul-draining experience of working on so-called "social" games: http://t.co/rOpONSDX
- "American Juggalo," short-form documentary, streaming in its entirety. http://t.co/XC5yb2PI
- I just got a disc read error playing an XBLA game. This is one of those zen koans, right?
- "David Byrne: How architecture helped music evolve" http://t.co/D6PXzAeq
- In film, teal and orange is the new ROY G BIV. http://t.co/N68u9Oz6
- Put up mattress on Craigslist. This morning, dude shows up, excited to take it. Right now I see it on the sidewalk not 50 feet from my door.
- Burnout Crash's first-time user experience is *abysmal*. Criterion needs to either hire some UX people or fire their existing UX people.
- I put up with the interminable title screen, EULA, and radio ad for the game itself before I could press start, but gave up on "Crash DMV."
- Pendulum, "Voyager" http://t.co/viwYIB5w
- Picked up the ICO/Shadow of the Colossus collection. Okay, so who do I know who owns a PS3 and wants to play these games with me?
- @mittense @antumbral The answer to "what" is in the second paragraph of the article. Maybe try reading it.
- Kindle Fire looks promising. What's the developer experience like for Kindle apps? Is it just Android?
- @Satchamobob @mrasmus @karamisaurus I really appreciate it guys but I was kind of hoping for someone who lives in the same city :)
- Pretty much every animal you think you've seen, that's actually just the work of taxidermist Chuck Testa. http://t.co/XcWMuFAr
- @karamisaurus @geardrops Probably.
- Necros's "Progression" and "System" disks, two of the best albums of the 90s, in their entirety: http://t.co/WyaeSYPQ http://t.co/K7YORB9R
- Teen pregnant? Practical application of Brooks's Law: adding more pregnant women to the project makes the baby later.
- Portals link places. "Screenshots" link places and times. http://t.co/1WEtsPGN
- Say what you will about Apple locking down their phone hardware, the practice ensures a high standard of app quality. http://t.co/2bzmI2BE
- @brantsteen Let me know if you post a review somewhere!
- Upcoming "Indie Games for Good" marathon to live-stream indie games for your pleasure and also for charity. http://t.co/G6Af2iwK
- Casting notes for Ender's Game movie, huh? I remember, around 10 years ago, Orson Scott Card was excited about casting Jake Lloyd as Ender.
- He also blogged some of the script-in-progress. An excerpt: Graff: "EXPOSITION EXPOSITION." Theresa Wiggin: "But, EXPOSITION EXPOSITION."
- "We reviewed 100 Chrome extensions and found that 27 leak all of their privileges to a web or WiFi attacker." http://t.co/JXt0kMPC
- Faith No More, "Midlife Crisis" http://t.co/42UHy20p
- "Warhammer 40k: Space Marines" might be more aptly named "Space Romans." And like all the ancient peoples, they speak in a British accent.
- The orks are always yelling "Space Marines!" when they see you. Why all the syllables? There aren't any other kinds of marines around.
- (Not even Water Marines, which you'd think would be a no brainer.)
- @Vanther I haven't been paying close attention to the dialog, but I think the protagonist is actually an Ultra Marine *and* a Space Marine.
- @Vanther Man, the Warhammer fiction is way more elaborate than I expected.
- "The numbers show that over the course of our history, humankind has been blessed with six major declines of violence." http://t.co/xlAV0A6I
- I don't know why I'm taking cooking advice from somebody with no lower jaw, but honestly this looks pretty solid. http://t.co/BRQQyXlx
- "Postmortem: Smudged Cat Games' The Adventures Of Shuggy" http://t.co/3wQlyarA
- RT @RealPerson084 ACRID SMOKE STINGS YOUR EYES. YOU COUGH. A FREE IPAD WHEELS AROUND, ALERT. ITS TOUCHSCREEN FACE A WAKING NIGHTMARE. #NIGHTOFTHEFREEIPAD
- The Police, "Synchronicity II" http://t.co/pWVFr6H0